Coriander or cilantro is a natural herb that can be used for garnish, a condiment or in many different recipes. It has a strong yet pleasant aroma, and it is effective at inducing the palate. This herb has six acids including ascorbic acid (vitamin C) and plenty of other vitamins and minerals that each has their effective health benefits.
- Can halt diarrhea. Coriander contains linalool and borneol that aid in the proper function of the bowels and the liver and help with digestion. Diarrhea is reduced because of the microbial actions and coriander can also help to prevent many stomach afflictions including vomiting and nausea.
- Reduces skin disorders and inflammation. Coriander contains the essential oil Cineole and linoleic acid which both have anti-arthritic properties. Conditions caused by anaemia and the malfunction of kidneys can cause swelling. Coriander can help to release excess water from the body to reduce inflammation, reduce discomfort and improve the appearance of the skin. The properties of coriander include anti-fungal, detoxifying, antiseptic and an ability to clear skin disorders including dryness, eczema and fungal infections.
- Can assist in lowering cholesterol levels. Coriander contains ascorbic, linoleic, oleic, stearic and palmitic acids that can all lower the bad cholesterol deposits found in the inner walls of veins and arteries. When bad cholesterol builds up, it can cause strokes, heart attacks, strokes and atherosclerosis.
- Can help with the control of blood pressure. There is a chemical interaction of calcium ions and a neurotransmitter called cholinergic which helps to relax the tension in blood vessels. The chemical interaction reduces blood pressure, hypertension and lowers the risk of heart attack and strokes.
- Get rid of ulcers inside the mouth. Citronellol is an essential oil contained in coriander that is a very good antiseptic. It has antimicrobial and healing effects that help to prevent ulcers in the mouth from getting worse. It can also help to freshen breath and is used in many organic antiseptics.
- Coriander can strengthen the integrity of bones because it is rich in calcium. It stops the degradation of bones which occurs with degenerative diseases such as osteoporosis. The largest concentration of calcium is in the center leaves of a coriander plant.
- Regulates blood sugar and the menstrual cycle. There is a natural stimulant in coriander that regulates hormone secretion from endocrine glands. If secretion is regulated, it helps the menstrual cycle to become more regular, and there is a reduction of the intensity of menstrual cramping. This endocrine regulation helps to control the secretion of insulin that ensures that sugar is properly absorbed, and this can lower blood sugar levels.
- Coriander has anti-allergenic properties. Fresh coriander and coriander seed oil provide effective relief from the symptoms of hay fever and seasonal allergies. This oil can also help with skin allergies and gland and throat swelling.
- Can cure or prevent smallpox. The essential oils that are contained in coriander are a “magic pill” where detoxification is concerned. It contains iron and vitamin C which are both an immune system booster.
- Removes heavy metals from the blood. There are anti-bacterial compounds contained in coriander that help to protect against food poisoning and also naturally detoxify the body. Heavy metals including cadmium, mercury and lead are absorbed by the body from the environment and are very toxic. These work to deteriorate neurological functions in the body, but coriander can detoxify organs, removing these metals from the nervous system.
- Supports eye health. Coriander is full of vitamin A and C and contains many anti-oxidants. It helps to prevent degeneration of vision and can reduce the stress and strain on eyes. The beta-carotene contained in coriander helps to prevent or to reverse eye diseases that occur in aging people.
- Can help to increase the flow of breast milk.
What do you think?
More Healthy Reading:
Turmeric Smoothie – So Tasty You Won’t Believe It Has One of the Most Powerful Antioxidants In The World!