We have all heard a lot of different reasons from the time that we were young about why we need to eat grains and how they are healthy for our bodies. The emerging evidence is that this is no longer true for a variety of reasons.
Here are the reasons we have been told that we need to eat grains:
- You need the fibre! For years, we have been told that we need the fibre that grains provide, but the truth is completely different. In fact, scientists have discovered that high-fibre foods can rupture the gastrointestinal tract by banging up against the cells that line it and rupturing their outer covering. The result is that it the lubricating mucus is increased. If a person has irritable bowel syndrome, they should consider not eating grain because they truly do not need it. In fact, there are a lot of fibres contained in vegetables that cover and replace what you would get from grains.
- Grains contain minerals and vitamins. Yes, you need to ingest the necessary vitamins and minerals for your body including B1, B2, iron, potassium, zinc and magnesium, but you do not need to eat carb-dense grain that is bulky. Eat a giant salad instead!
- Grains are the foundation of the food pyramid. This thinking has not been examined for many decades, and it is completely wrong. In fact, grains are the most pointless food in a healthy diet.
- Grains contain lectins that bind to insulin receptors, human intestinal lining and attack the stomach lining. They can also be the cause of leptin resistance that worsens metabolic syndrome.
- Grains also contain gluten that is found in barley, rye and wheat and is a composite of the proteins glutenin and gliadin. People who are gluten intolerant can suffer from deficient vitamin D3 and calcium levels, bone defects and hyperparathyroidism. Some people are not celiac, but they test positive for anti-gliadin IgA in their waste products. If this is in stool, then it is because your body is trying to fight the threat of gluten.
- Phytates, also contained in grain, cause minerals to be bio-unavailable, so it renders the consumption of cereal grain pointless.
- Modern grain milling is very efficient and fast. It gives the processing plant a large amount of control over how the grain is separated and creates flour that lasts forever. It can be shipped over long distances to provide food for massive populations. It remains pest free because there is nothing in it that pests want or need nutritionally. It was the very first processed food and allows shelf stable foods to be created months ahead of the time of their distribution.
- Grain milling eliminates the proteins, lipids, vitamins, and minerals that are found in bran, germ and shorts. The middlings are the nutritional portion of the grain that is used in animal feeds, ironically.
- Although white flour is harmful and contains no known nutrients, it is one of the most widely used products worldwide.
- Wheat has been engineered to be drought and pest resistant. It is simple to harvest, giving farmers a higher yield per acre. The biological manipulation that has hybridized wheat, which has increased the gluten, creating an end product that results in fluffier baking products. Today we are eating grains that are bleached, chemically treated and converted into a “food” that no other living animal on the planet will eat.
Simply put, there is no good reason for people to eat grains or to rely on them as part of their diet. We don’t need grains in our diet as part of our survival. They are a natural pest deterrent in the wild and are not something you want to put into your body.
What do you think?
More Healthy Reading:
Turmeric Smoothie – So Tasty You Won’t Believe It Has One of the Most Powerful Antioxidants In The World!